Hello friends! A month ago I gave birth to the perfect little girl. From those first moments of trying to breastfeed we had issues. She just wouldn’t latch well and it caused me intense pain. The first night we were home from the hospital I just couldn’t take it anymore. Just know that breastfeeding shouldn’t cause you serious pain. That night, after attempting to feed and getting mad at my husband and the baby I said I just couldn’t do it. I didn’t want to give up but being angry and tired and in pain was not a sustainable way to live. I immediately pulled out my pump and decided to start pumping exclusively. This is just the inside freezer. Our deep freeze is filled with target bags full of milk!
As soon as I made that decision I felt a weight lifted and was immediately happier. I could feed my baby, still give breast milk, and my husband could help out more. Also formula is very expensive so being able to save money was a huge plus. So over the past month I have been able to pump enough for baby to eat all day/night and store up a stash of over 450oz!! Here is exactly what I do and what works for me.
- Water water water! I’ll get this one out of the way because it’s the most obvious. I drink a minimum of 16oz each time I pump. Pumping makes me super thirsty. I keep a 32oz jug with me and drink all day and night.
- Pumping of course. Get a good pump, I use the Medela pump in style. I also purchased a car adapter so I could never miss a pump. I pump every 3 hours around the clock. I set alarms to go off on my watch so I’m always aware. I know it seems like a lot but pumping takes a major commitment. For me it’s easy to remember 12, 3, 6, 9 for the times I pump. It also helps to use some lanolin on the flanges to make pumping more comfortable.
- I drink one body armor drink everyday. Some people claim it boosts milk supply. I find that it helps break up the water drinking with something flavorful. They taste amazing and have milk boosting ingredients like coconut water.
- I eat oatmeal each morning. It’s filling, helps milk production and I think it helps with weight. I made tons of lactation cookies with my first baby and found that I couldn’t lose weight and even gained and so I was not letting that happen this time.
- Sunflower lecithin. I ordered mine on amazon. This is supposed to have some great health benefits and also helps prevent mastitis. I would suggest, if you get the liquid form, to just take a spoonful and not mix it in food or smoothies. It is a thickening agent and it can ruin your smoothie or food in my opinion.
- I always have my Arbonne protein shake a day. It gets my fruits and veggies in as well as my protein and fiber and pre and probiotics each day! Plus it tastes amazing. Get it here! Click the link to get yours or message me for more details!
These are my tips and tricks to building your stash and making pumping work for you! I will continue to update and I continue my journey