Happy Tuesday! Today I’m going to share with you my recipe to make this awesome soup that is perfect for bigger families or to be eaten on for a few days. It gave me and my husband 3 days worth of dinner and we definitely fill our bowls too full.
You probably don’t know but I have a secret love affair with my crockpot. I’m not sure why but I have always loved using my crockpot. Who doesn’t love being able to throw everything in a big pot, toss on a lid and let it do its thing. Hours later you open it up and voila dinner is done, perfect and ready to eat!
So for this recipe make sure you have a fairly large crockpot. I have made the mistake of trying to put it in a smaller one and it does not fit!! I apologize I don’t know what size my crockpot is, I can’t find it on the pot anywhere.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 4 uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast halves- you can really do whatever amount of chicken you prefer.
- 2 cans of beans- I use 2 cans of mixed beans. It has black beans, pinto and kidney beans already in one can! I love it. Use whatever you like. Black beans are traditional but I like variety.
- 1 can green chilies
- 2 cans of rotel tomatoes
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1 15oz can of tomato sauce
- Whatever toppings you like- cheese, tortilla chips, sour cream…
Combine all the above ingredients except the toppings in your crockpot. No need to drain any of the cans.
Cover and cook on low for 8hrs. You can stir and the chicken should shred super easily. I think this soup gets better day after day.
Xoxo Erin Renae